Epifibroin Dressing and PowderMedical Devices in pure silk fibroin
EPIFIBROIN is an innovative line of Medical Devices, based on 100% Pure Silk Fibroin with permanent antimicrobial protection (AEM 5772/5), for the treatment of wounds, burns and traumatic and chronic ulcers (also infected) and in general of dermatoses with erosions and / or ulcerations of skin and semimucose. Treatment of infections (both bacterial and fungal), rashes, irritations and inflammations.
Two different Medical Devices Class II b – CE
> EPIFIBROIN DRESSING: Pure Silk Fibroin Bandage with permanent antimicrobial protection.
> EPIFIBROIN POWDER: Powder of pure Silk Fibroin with permanent antimicrobial protection.
EPIFIBROIN Medical Devices are based on 2 Patents owned by ALPRETEC
1. The technology of permanently bonding a non-leaching wide spectrum antimicrobial on a textile surface for medical purpose (DERMASILK Patent, 2003)
2. The technology of producing silk fibroin powder through an original mechanical process (EPIFIBROIN Patent, 2012)
Antimicrobial protection AEM 5772/5
- Permanently bonded to the silk fibroin fibres
- Non-migrating, non-leaching antimicrobial
- Mechanically interrupts the micro-organisms cell wall (by electrocution)
- Not consumed by micro-organisms
- It maintains its effectiveness throughout the life of the product
- Does not modify the resident skin flora
- Does not create microbial adaptation or resistance
- Odourless, colourless
The antimicrobial exerts an efficacious control of inflammations and bacterial and fungal infections of the skin, without altering the natural resident flora. Fixed permanently, it acts with a physical mechanism, attracting pathogenic microorganisms and destroying their cell membrane.
- Patented Silk Fibroin Powder with Permanent Antimicrobial Protection (AEM 5772/5).
- The only one that keeps intact the fibroin’s aminoacid chains, enhancing their skin regeneration functions.
- Highly lipophilic: easily penetrates into the skin.
- Highly hydrophobic (soluble in water about 2 ppm).
- Safe: 20 to 100 micron powder, does not interact with metabolic functions, has no adverse effects.
- Powder obtained from pure silk fibroin fabric with permanent antimicrobial protection, through a patented thermal-mechanical (non-enzymatic) process.
- Bandage of pure Silk Fibroin with Permanent Antimicrobial Protection (AEM 5772/5)
- Available in various sizes
Numerous test – in vivo and in vitro have been performed on the biocompatibility and bioeffectiveness of Epifibroin Powder and Dressing.